U-Pick Trail Mix Oatmeal Cookies - Gluten Free/Egg Free

The other day, a parent from preschool let me know she would be bringing oatmeal cookies to share at school.

Side note: I love it when other parents give me a head's up so I can be prepared with an option for my gluten free kiddos. It takes away the last minute stress of what am I going to do - spend $4 on one cookie at the coffee shop, give him a piece of candy, or have him feel left out because he doesn't get the special treat that everyone else does. So thank you to those who take the extra minute to share with us when you have special plans. (I know if you are like me, sometimes, I do not know what my plan is until is over...but thanks for those times that you do know.)

So I decided that I was going to try my hand at making some yummy gluten and egg free cookies again!  I have tried many in the past and it is hard when they do not turn out or your kids do not beg for more. Actually, this past Christmas, I went on a cookie strike and did not make any...I turned to caramels, fudge, Muddy Buddies and other options that did not need any substitutions at all.
I know there are websites that focus on just what I need, but I really wanted a normal recipe that did not substitute everything that we know as normal. It is fun to try different mixes and premade cookies as well and Amazon always has quite a few to choose from...Amazon Cookie Mixes and Pre-Made Cookies.
I took an ole favorite recipe (Quaker Oats Recipe- from before my kids were GF) and tweaked it a little...

Trail Mix Oatmeal Cookies
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 T butter softened (barely)
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs - which I substituted with 2 T of ground flax and 4 T warm water that I mixed and then left sit for a few minutes - then added just like I would of the eggs.
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend - see recipe below
1 tsp.baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
2 3/4 oats

I love cookies with a lot of yummies in them so I added:
1/2 cup coconut
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup craisins
I think that in the future, I would add some nuts as well...maybe cut the chocolate chips down a bit and add a few nuts. I really think you could add any extra ingredients that you would like - just not too many that it dries the cookies out.
Dough - looked a little dry and I was a little worried but tried just a few to see....and....they were great!

1. Preheat oven to 350*. Mix together butter and sugars until well mixed...I left a few lumps in the butter.
2. Add the eggs/replacer and vanilla and mix.
3. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
4. Add oats and any extras that you decide to add.
5. The dough was formed enough that I scooped it out with a spoon but then rolled it into balls and flattened them a little.
6. Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Do not overcook...I left the centers goey and then left them on the cookie sheet to cool for about a minute. Then transferred to a cooling rack.
The recipe is supposed to make 4 dozen, but I made some monster cookies like they sell at the coffee shop and a few smaller ones. So my recipe made about 22.
The top two cookies in this picture have a few marshmallows added...when I said they were "Trail Mix Cookies" he thought they should definitely have marshmallows in them.

Oh and did I mention they are so yummy! My kids want to eat all of them in one sitting! I froze about 6 of them in little baggies for future times. Happy baking --- let me know if you try them and how they turn out for you!
*I almost forgot to add the gluten free flour blend that I use...it is one that I found on the Land O Lakes website...Land O Lakes Gluten Free Flour Blend. I mix up an entire batch and then use it in favorite recipes in place of the flour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4 - Whole 30

The Sweetest Sound...

Have a Little Faith...