Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Take 2

Gluten free, egg free, nut free and almost dairy free...

Let's start with my oldest boy...E...he has been gluten intolerant since about the age of two and is very allergic to eggs.

We do our best to help him fit in when it comes to snacks and eating out...and sometimes I find it is just easiest if I volunteer to do the cooking. Then all the kids have the same cookie, cupcake or whatever the item might be.

Well, the first grade classes are ending the last 26 days with an alphabet countdown...Friday happens to be C...which is Cookies and Milk with your teacher day. I saw this and thought, "If I volunteer to make the cookies then E will get to have the same cookie as everyone else." So I volunteered and of course the teacher was very excited to have one job taken care of for her.

So I asked about the other allergies in the class. I found out that there is a dairy as well as a nut allergy in his class. I looked over some recipes and realized that I can make a flour mixture with out using a nut flour and as much as I love Pamela's Baking Mix as my go to in emergencies...it does have dairy and nut ingredients. So I went with a flour mixture that my cousin referred me to a few years ago which is made up of allergy friendly ingredients! Yeah...

I went to work...
here is the recipe I used...
1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 T butter softened (barely) (oops this would make these not dairy free...)
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs - which I substituted with 2 T of ground flax and 6 T warm water that I mixed and then left sit for a few minutes - then added just like I would of the eggs.
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour blend - see recipe below
1 tsp.baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven to 350*. Mix together butter and sugars until well mixed...I left a few lumps in the butter.
2. Add the eggs/replacer and vanilla and mix.
3. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well.
4. Add oats and raisins.
5. The dough was formed enough that I scooped it out with a spoon but then rolled it into balls and flattened them a little.
6. Bake 8 - 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Do not overcook...I left the centers goey and then left them on the cookie sheet to cool for about a minute. Then transferred to a cooling rack.

The Gluten Free Flour Blend that I used for this recipe was from the Land O Lakes website. I usually mix up a batch or two and keep it in a 1/2 gallon jar.

So they turned out pretty good...not dairy free since I used butter. I totally forgot until I was up putting kids to bed and thinking wait--- I used butter...butter is indeed a dairy ingredient. So glad that I made the cookies a day ahead and I can get a dairy free butter for tomorrow's round two of cookies for my boy's first grade class.

Sidenote - I can not even begin to believe that he is almost done with first grade...why is he even in school yet? Where does the time fly and how did he grow up so fast! I am so impressed with him everyday - he is learning and growing so fast and I am just amazed at what a little man he is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4 - Whole 30

"Kick a Bug Juice"

Another try at WHOLE 30.